Time well wasted

Monday, March 7, 2011
Closing in
I often complain about sunrise shots - and today is no different. Not only because I woke up early over the weekend to try for a good shot and came up with nothing, but because the day the shot below was taken was the worst of them all.

I woke up before 5am for the first time in likely a decade or more, then drove 45 minutes and hiked 45 minutes to this spot - all before the sky even started to light up. I hadn't really thought through how freggin scary it is hiking miles from civilization by yourself when it's pitch black outside. I'm pretty sure some animal growled at me (which I pretended didn't happen) and then I came within about 10 feet of a deer which spooked both him and I when I heard a crunch, looked up, and blinded him with my headlamp.

Once I finally made it to this spot, I set up my camera and relaxed for a bit. I waited and waited as the sky started to light up, hoping the clouds would light up with color - no such luck. Then, as my luck continued, it started to rain. There was only a 10% chance, but I suppose it wasn't 0%. I covered my camera and myself and waited for it to let up, took a few more shots, and then it started raining again and I called it a day.

All in all, out of the 2.5 hours I spent out there (including the hiking) there was only one short redeeming part. The shot below was taken right before the rain started, and the fog - which had covered the entire valley - had started to slip away. It wasn't anything like what I was hoping for, but I suppose its better than nothing.

Closing In
posted by Brian @ 10:05 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Blog

Links
Previous Post