Time well wasted

Wednesday, January 30, 2008
Strangers


I have a roommate (who shall remain unnamed) who is social to an extent most people would never dream of - chatting up strangers, asking random questions - none of it is beyond his personality. I, on the other hand, am not as social. However, if someone engages me in conversation I have no problem with it, I'm just generally not the instigator. My conversation with Steven is a prime example of this.

On to the new story. It's Monday evening around 5pm, class has ended and due to Dave Grohl's flu the Foo concert I had planned on attending was no longer on the agenda for the evening. Some classmates and I decided to go eat some Greek food at Kosmos (the Pork Pita is not as good as I was advised by the girl taking my order - the Greek Chicken is way better, but that is beside the point). As I was ordering I heard a lady behind me striking up a conversation with the guy sitting behind me, they clearly did not know one another but I didn't think anything of it. After eating all my classmates were discussing their current comp papers (the paper you must write to graduate) and as I had written my last semester I peaced out from the stressful conversations that had ensued and ventured out into the night.

The woman from the earlier conversation had left the restaurant right in front of me and as I turned to walk to my car I notice she had turned to look at me.
"Excuse me sir?"
"Yeah"
"I don't imagine you'd want to do me a huge favor?"
"uh.. what is it?" (I didn't have anything to do, and I like strangers, so at this point I figure I can help the lady out)
"Well, I came here for the Foo Fighters concert, I know a woman my age (I'd guess 50's but as Taylor knows that means somewhere between 35 and 80) seeing the Foo Fighters seems silly but I really like their music. Anyway, I had also wanted to see the St. Petersburg Ballet in Ft. Smith tonight. I had surgery recently so I can't drive. You wouldn't happen to want to make $75 to drive me to Ft. Smith and go to the Ballet with me would you?"
"Yeah, I don't think so, that's a long drive and I don't really like ballet."
"How about $100?"
"Haha, no, I don't think so, I'm sorry."
"Ok, well how about I give you $5 to drive me to Wal-Mart?"
"You know what... I'll drive you there for free, lets go...."

If you think this is where the story ends, you'd be wrong, there's much more to come, I'll finish it after lunch if possible.
posted by Brian @ 11:12 AM  
1 Comments:
  • At January 30, 2008 at 12:21 PM, Blogger Cal said…

    Random! I hope this story doesn't end up with you waking up next to her Tuesday morning...though that would be a completely enjoyable story.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Blog

Links
Previous Post