Time well wasted

Monday, January 28, 2008
Direction
In one of my classes is a girl from the middle east who wears a chador (the full body dress that covers everything but the eyes). It's a 3 hour class so we get a 15 min break in the middle of it. So one day she comes up to me and asks which way is north. If you know me very well you know my sense of cardinal directions is mediocre at best - especially while indoors. Anyway, I look around, try to get my bearings and point in the general direction I think is north. Shahala then asks her if she needs help finding something and she replies "no, I just have to pray." This makes me real nervous - not because shes going to pray, but because I wasn't entirely sure I pointed north and I don't think this is one of those things you can just guesstimate on. So I stood up, looked outside, tried to find a street I knew ran north/south and realized I was accurate in my original estimate.

I find other religions very fascinating, especially one in which you must cover your body and pray in a certain direction. It kind of makes me feel lazy, their religion takes an amazing amount of commitment and devotion.

On a side note, the Foo Fighters concert tonight is canceled - which kind of ruins my plans for the evening.

Here's a picture I took the yesterday, lets see if anyone can figure out how it relates to the post.

posted by Brian @ 8:53 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At January 28, 2008 at 11:28 AM, Blogger Wes said…

    you took it from the north looking south?

     
  • At January 28, 2008 at 12:47 PM, Blogger Cal said…

    It's nice to have a faith that gives us more freedom and flexibility to worship when and how we want, but on the other hand gives a lot more responsibility and opportunities to mess up. Complex.

    As for the picture's relation...you were wearing full body dress while taking it because it was cold? You were praying it wouldn't come out crappy?

     
  • At January 30, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Blogger Brian said…

    Wes was closer. The sun is setting in the South - which it rarely does.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Blog

Links
Previous Post