Time well wasted

Thursday, May 13, 2010
The elephant in the room
I was talking with someone the other day about cake decorating (cooking is one of my other favorite hobbies) and I mentioned how terrible I am at decorating. I'm just not very artistic. I can't draw, I have terrible handwriting, I'm not good with graphic design and architecture and interior design aren't really my fortes either - although I do appreciate good work when I see it.

Which is why I find photography to be such a peculiar art form. I'm not creating anything really - I just position myself in the right place and time to steal someone else's work.

Such is the case below with Fayettville's new elephant Nomkhubulwane. It's made of old tires and is one of twelve such recycled elephants circling the globe. I didn't weave the thing, I didn't design the town center or the condo unit in the picture. I didn't pick out the clouds or the blueish gray of the sky. I'm not the artist, I'm just an amateur art thief.

*As an aside, do not try to figure out the correct spelling of amateur by googling the word. It brings up a lot of things you'd probably be very embarrassed to have show up on your work computer.

Elephant
posted by Brian @ 9:20 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Blog

Links
Previous Post